Monday 12 July 2010

Airbrush Ho!

I constantly prattle on about using my airbrush. Its not that im addicted to prattling on about it, its just that I cant stress enough how much easier and quicker it makes painting.

For example if you take a look at the previous blog post I undercoated a Leman Russ Punisher, a Stormlord, 5 guardsmen and a heavy weapons team.

Now if I wanted to put down the basecoat of colour by brush on to all of these, I would still be painting them at 10pm tonight. Honestly it would take me that long and I guarantee i'd be considering another coat or two just to even out the colour. Sheesh if I was being really honest, the Stormlord alone would take me that long!

So I dug out, my airbrush and compressor earlier today. Well I say I dug them out, thats not true. I got my aunt to do it as lifting all that kit is a surefire way to upset my surgery site and pull all the mending muscles and flesh.

Once dug out I proceeded to see how long it would take to lay down my initial layer of paint onto my models...............

30 minutes!

Thats right, it took me 30 minutes to do the lot and that also included a clean of the airbrush in the middle so the paint didnt dry in all the internals of it.

Now below is just a quick snap of the models with the first layer of colour airbrushed on. For troops it helps me get the layer of colour on that takes the longest. Of course the rest will be done by hand, but its still faster this way.

The tanks however... WOW. They have a nice coat and because the airbrush is controlled you can see shading and highlights on it allready and that is before I even apply a lighter colour to the model.

One thing I am also able to do is apply a dirt spray to the lower half of the tanks, I havent done this yet, but that will be next after I have applied the highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment